Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolutions

I have been thinking a lot about the past year and what I have accomplished. Along with that, I am making new "resolutions" as I am sure most of are about what we want for this year. Here is what I have come up with. I want to Make A Difference. I realize that this may be just a bit obvious hence the blog and all but lets take it a little further.

When I started this blog, I said that I wanted to get on here every day and help you find other ways to Help Others. I realize that I can not do this every day. A lot of time we let our emotions take over and we over commit. I am still going to come on here as much as I can and help you to find ways to Help Others.

This year my number one resolution is to Make A Difference. How am I going to do that? Well, each month I am going to volunteer. For instance, in January, I am going to have a clothes swap at my work (Nov 8 blog entry). Then I am going to take the left over clothes to a local shelter and donate my time there. In February, I will be serving meals to families who are staying at Ronald McDonald House. These are just the first 2 of 12 ways that I will volunteer this year. What will you do?

Earlier I mentioned that I had been reflecting on 2009. I have not only been thinking of what I have accomplished, but the people who have helped me to do just so. There are so many people that I would like to thank (Nov 14 blog entry) and I will be doing so before the month is over. The media has also been going over not only the last year, but the last decade. What have we all been through and accomplished in the last decade? Yes, we have a black president. Yes, we have lost many iconic people. Yes, our country was made vulnerable by the attack on September 11, 2001. Please remember the lives that were lost and remember the people that were lost.

Yesterday my husband and I were watching a college football game. For the life of me I can't remember which one. It doesn't really matter. What does matter is that one of the running backs set a school record for most yards. He knew at the beginning of the game that it was a possibility. With minutes left in the game, he was fortunate enough to receive the ball and make a big play. When we went over to the sideline, he asked the statistician if that put him over the yards to break the school record. The answer was yes. What he did next was even more amazing that breaking the school record. He immediately went over to the front line and thanked each one of them. The front line does the blocking so that he is able to make catches and to run with the ball. He knew that he could not and did not break the record alone. This was an incredibly selfless act.

On this first day of January 2010, maybe you are still thinking of what your new year's resolution is going to be. Please remember those who have helped you along the way, those who have given you tools to be who you are, and those who you can help.

Thanks for listening and Happy New Year!

Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment